Key areas of research interest: Animal Cell Technology and its application for human and animal health (http://tca.itqb.unl.pt). Therapeutic and diagnostic recombinant proteins, including fusion proteins; virus like particles and pseudo viruses as vaccination agents and viruses (retro-, adeno-, lenti-) as deliverables for gene therapy; cell therapies and stem cells. cGMP pilot plant scale-up and production development of biopharmaceuticals.
- Teixeira AP, Oliveira R, Alves PM, Carrondo MJT (2009) “Advances in real-time monitoring and control of mammalian cell cultures: supporting the PAT initiative” Biotechnology Advances 27:726-732.
- Carmo M, Dias JD, Panet A, Coroadinha AS, Carrondo MJT, Alves PM, Cruz PE (2009) “Thermosensitivity of the reverse transcription process as an inactivation mechanism of lentiviral vectors”, Human Gene Therapy, 20(10):1168-1176.
- Vicente T, Mota JPB, Peixoto C, Alves PM, Carrondo MJT (2010) “Analysis of adsorption of a baculovirus bioreaction bulk on an ion-exchange surface by surface plasmon resonance”, Journal of Biotechnology , 148:171-181.
- Bernal V, Monteiro F, Carinhas N, Ambrósio R, Alves PM, Carrondo MJT (2010) “Metabolic burden in baculovirus-infected Spodoptera frugiperda Sf-9 cells”, Journal Biotechnology, 148(3):332-42.
- Vicente T, Fáber R, Alves PM, Carrondo MJT, Mota JPB (2011) “Impact ligand density on the optimization of ion-exchange membrane chromatography for viral vector purification”, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 108:6 1347-1359.