- Separation of fine chemicals, pharmaceuticals and biomolecules by adsorption and chromatographic processes: simulated moving bed (SMB), semi-continuous multicolumn chromatography, GSSR.
- Gas storage and separation by cyclic adsorption processes: Adsorbed natural gas, pressure swing adsorption (PSA), hybrid processes combining PSA and membrane permeation.
- Molecular simulation.
- Nanotechnology: characterization of nanotubes and metal organic frameworks and their use as adsorbents, molecular probes, and drug-delivery agents.
- Modeling and optimization of separation processes: SMB, PSA, supercritical fluid extraction.
- Mixing and heat transfer by chaotic advection.
E. Saatdjian, A.J.S. Rodrigo, J.P.B. Mota, “Stokes Flow Heat Transfer in an Annular, Rotating Heat Exchanger,” APPL. THERMAL ENG. 31 (2011) 1499-1507.
F.J.A.L. Cruz, I.A.A.C. Esteves, S. Agnihotri, J.P.B. Mota, “Adsorption Equilibria of Light Organics on Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Heterogeneous Bundles: Thermodynamical Aspects,” J. PHYS. CHEM. C 115 (2011) 2622-2629.
T. Vicente, R. Faber, P.M. Alves, M.J.T. Carrondo, J.P.B. Mota, “Impact of ligand density on the optimization of ion-exchange membrane chromatography for viral vector purification,” BIOTECH. BIOENG. 130 (2011) 1347-1359.
R.J.S. Ricardo, R.C.R. Rodrigues, H. Osuna-Sanchez, M. Bailly, E. Valéry, J.P.B. Mota, “A new multicolumn, open-loop process for center-cut separation by solvent gradient chromatography,” J. CHROMATOGR. A 1217 (2011), 8257-8269.
R.C.R. Rodrigues, R.J.S. Silva, J.P.B. Mota, “Streamlined, two-column, simulated countercurrent chromatography for binary separation,'' J. CHROMATOGR. A 1217 (2010) 3382-3391.