* Development of new approaches for in-gel and in-solution protein identification throughout ultra-fast protein digestion and mass spectrometry-based techniques.
* Development of new strategies for tissue sample preparation prior Mass Spectrometry Imaging of endometriosis tissues and prostate cancer tissues.
* Development of faster and more efficient sample preparation methods for identification and quantification of antidoping substances, such as anabolic steroids, β2-antagonists, diuretics, stimulants, etc
* Develop New methods to identify doping abuse biomarkers by MALDI-TOF-MS and MALDI-TOF-TOF-MS.
* Development of new methodologies for protein quantification by stable isotopic labelling techniques and mass spectroscopy.
* Development of new methods for bacterial identification by MALDI-TOF-MS with application in disease screening and bioterrorism combat.
* Development of new sample preparation procedures for Spectrometric techniques: MALDI-TOF-MS, MALDI-TOF-MS-MS and GC-TOF From single organic molecules to proteins and polymers.
* Development of new and fast methods for speciation of protein-bound elements based on proteomics (metallomics) and applying them to in vivo experiments with living organisms to asses the effectiveness of Selenium peptides in Arsenium detoxification of drinking-water.
* Development of Peptide mapping of red wines for identification and detection of frauds.
* Application of Gold(0), Silica and Magnetic Nanoparticles to Biomarkers Discovery.
* Development of new sample preparation for allergenic components in Lemons and citric fruits.
* Studies of Kinetics processes with Proteins and Natural Colloids.
* Developmen of new god nano particles for DNA and oligomers detection.
* Design and development of new fluorescent compounds based on amino acids, peptides and neurotransmitters for nanoparticle decoration.
* Development of new fluorescenct chemosensors for metal ion detection in solution.
* Design of new fluorescent compounds for specific detection of metal pesticides and fungicides in food samples.
* Implementation of some dry synthetic methods using clays and zeolites, and environmental friendly methods using ultrasound and microwaves energy.
* Synthesis of emissive organic Schiff-base ligands and their complexation reactions with Cu(II), Co(II), Ni(II), Zn(II), Cd(II), Hg(II), Pb(II), Ru(II), and Os(III). Photophysical studies as chemosensors for detection of DNA, metal ions and anions.
*Applications and studies of New Emissive Active Matrices based on amino acids, and peptides, and artificial organic molecules that absorb UV light and/or visible as chemical sensors for multifunctional recognition and detection of analytes by spectroscopy and spectrometry.
* Development of new Gold(0), Silver, Fe2O4, Platinum and Silica nanoparticles for Protein recognition.
* Synthesis of new molecular devices for MALDI-TOF-MS protein and biomarkers detection. Synthesis and Applications of Smart Nanoparticles based on emissive aminoacid residues.
1.-Cristina Nuñez, Javier Fernández-Lodeiro, Mário Dinis, Miguel Larguinho, José Luis Capelo, Carlos Lodeiro. Synthesis and photophysical studies of two luminescent chemosensors based on catechol and 8-hydroxyquinoline chromophores, and their complexes with Group 13 metal ions.
Inorg. Chem. Commun., 14, 831-835 (2011).
2.-M. Jose Mayoral, Paloma Ovejero, J. Antonio Campo, J. Vicente Heras, Elisabete Oliveira, Bruno Pedras, Carlos Lodeiro, Mercedes Cano. Exploring photophysical properties of new Boron and Palladium(II) complexes with B-diketone pyridine ligands: From Liquid Crystals to metal fluorescence probes.J. Mat. Chem. 21, 1255-1263 (2011).ç
3.-Javier Fernández-Lodeiro, Cristina Núñez, Ricardo Carreira, Hugo M. Santos, Carlos Silva López, Juan Carlos Mejuto, José Luis Capelo, Carlos Lodeiro. Novel versatile imine-enamine chemosensor based on 6-nitro-4-oxo-4H chromene for ion detection in solution, solid, and gas phase: synthesis, emission, computational and MALDI TOF-MS Studies. Tetrahedron, 67, 326-333 (2011)
4.-Elisabete Oliveira, Rosa M. F. Baptista, Susana P. G. Costa, M. Manuela M. Raposo, Carlos Lodeiro. Exploring the emissive properties of new azacrown compounds bearing aryl, furyl or thienyl moieties: a special case of Chelation Enhancement of Fluorescence upon interaction with Ca2+, Cu2+ or Ni2+. Inorg. Chem. 49 10847-10857 (2010)
5.-Anxela Aldrey, Cristina Núñez, Veronica Garcia, Rufina Bastida, Carlos Lodeiro, Alejandro Macías. Anion Sensing Properties of New Colorimetric Chemosensors Based on Macrocyclic Ligands Bearing Three Nitrophenylurea Groups.
Tetrahedron 66, 9223-9230 (2010)
6.-Hugo M. Santos, Daniel, Glez-Peña, Miguel Reboiro-Jato, Florentino Fdez-Riverola, Mário S. Diniz, Carlos Lodeiro, J. L. Capelo. A novel 18-O inverse labelling-based workflow for accurate bottom-up mass spectrometry quantification of proteins separted by gel eletrophoresis. Electrophoresis 31 3407-3419 (2010)
7.- Marta Mameli, Vito Lippolis, Claudia Caltagirone, José Luis Capelo , Olalla Nieto Faza,Carlos Lodeiro. Hg2+ detection by new anthracene pendant-arm derivatives of mixed N/S-, and N/S/O-donor macrocycles: Fluorescence, matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF-MS) and DFT studies. Inorg. Chem. 49 (18), 8276–8286, (2010)
8.-Hugo M. Santos, Carlos Lodeiro, José Luis Capelo. Analytical Proteomics: An Emerging Field?. J. Proteomics 73, 1411-1414 (2010)
9.-Carlos Lodeiro, José Luis Capelo, Juan Carlos Mejuto, Elisabete Oliveira, Hugo M. Santos, Bruno Pedras, Cristina Nuñez. “Light and Color as Analytical Detection Tools: A journey into the periodic table using polyamines to bio-inspired systems as chemosensors.” Chem. Soc. Rev. 39, 2948-2976, (2010)
10.- Ricardo Carreira, Carlos. Lodeiro, Mario. S. Diniz, Isabel. Moura, José. L. Capelo. Can ultrasonic energy efficiently speed 18O-labeling of proteins?. Proteomics. 9, (2009) 4974-4977